This post is about Ukulele String Names, and how you can remember them.
Ukulele string name depends of what kind of Ukulele you have because they are different. We guess that if you are searching for Ukulele String Names, you will maybe have a Standard or Soprano Ukulele. Otherwice the “names” for the different Ukuleles are listed here from the top and down.
The Ukulele Strings
If you have a:
- Sopranissimo or sopranino (piccolo or pocket): D5 G4 B4 E5 or C5 F4 A4 D5
- Standard or soprano Ukulele: the most popular: G4 C4 E4 A4.
- Standard or soprano Ukulele can also have: A4 D4 F#4 B4.
- Concert or Super Soprano Ukulele: A4 D4 F#4 B4 or G4 C4 E4 A4 that is most common
- Tenor Ukuleles: A4 D4 F#4 B4, G4 C4 E4 A4 (most common) or G3 C4 E4 A4
- Baritone Ukulele: D3 G3 B3 E4
- Bass Ukulele: E2 A2 D3 G3
- Contrabass Ukulele: E1 A1 D2 G2
Remember that the Ukulele strings order are from the bottom and up, 1 2 3 and 4th. So the string on the bottom is number 1.
Remembering the Ukulele string names
When you are tuning the Ukulele you have to know witch string is witch. One tip is to wright the Ukulele string names in the bottom of your Ukulele under the strings. If not you have to remember the names.
For a help to remember the strings, you can give them names.
- G4 C4 E4 A4 can be Gouts Can Eat All sorts of food, or Great Cats Eats Always.
- A4 D4 F#4 B4 can be All Dolls Fall Back or All Day Face Book
- D3 G3 B3 E4 can be Dogs Go Back for Eating, or Darkness Gonna Be Early
- E2-A2-D3-G3 can be Eagles Attacks Dogs and Gouts
- C5 F4 A4 D5 can be Can Fire All Dummies, or Cats Feed All Day
If you have a god sentence better than this, use that one. It is probably more easy to remember your own.
You also have to remember, or have a picture of in your head, the numbers or the #.
The first time you tune the Ukulele you have to check that it is the right, and it often will be right automatic. Next time the Ukulele is out of tune it normally is not that far from the right one, so you don’t have to remember if it is a G3 or G4.
High and low G – the difference
And tips about what kind of stings you can use:
Tuning and playing the Ukulele
When the Ukulele is tuned you can start at Easy Ukulele Songs.